[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or isit just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?

Radio Tech radio at dodo.com.au
Fri Aug 2 22:04:07 EST 2002

At 08:17 PM 8/2/02 +1000, Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au wrote:
>Radio Tech [mailto:radio at dodo.com.au] writes:
>> It probably would "read" worse than that.....coffee shop crowded with
>> intinerant 802.11 wireless data scavengers, playing wireless
>> network "Doom" game, between tables, crashed the next door Stock
>> Exchange wireless LAN, causing multi million dollar losses, at
>> trading time.
>
>And what the hell would a critical system be using the ISM band for?
>
><quote url="http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/spread.htm">
>A spread spectrum device will not be afforded protection from interference
>caused by other radiocommunications services. Also, in accordance with the
>requirements of footnote AUS 32, and footnotes 752 and 806, to the Table of
>Allocations in the Australian Radiofrequency Spectrum Plan, a spread
>spectrum device is not to be afforded protection from interference that may
>be caused by ISM applications in the ISM bands 918 MHz-926 MHz, 2400
>MHz-2500 MHz and 5725 MHz-5875 MHz
></quote>
>
>Anyone that believes that they can use an ISM class licensed device for the
>transmission of important data is deluding themselves.  Furthermore, if
>people believe they have the right to protection from other users of the ISM
>band (even Tony "VK3JED" Langdon with his amatuer TV station transmitting at
>1 kilowatt in the 2.4GHz ISM band), then they should read the rules and
>regulations before even thinking about making a complaint.
>
>> You want publicity??? you would get it! not really the kind
>> you need though
>> :-)
>
>Publicity would be better focused on the outright stupidity of commercial
>operators who expect interference free radio communications, but have not
>purchased any spectrum on which they may operate.  Take the time to read the
>rules and regulations, then you will understand.  A good list of links to
>current regulations can be found at:
>http://www.wireless.org.au/wiki/?WirelessCodeOfPractise
>
>Regards,
>Tyson.

Well.....that's a great attitude to have. I don't need a lecture on ACA
regulations either....I happen to work in this industry dealing with LIPD's
EVERY day :-) Yes, there is nothing like a bit of a laugh now and again.
Amateur Radio Operators are their own worst enemy (yes, I am one of them too!)
Persistent problems on the 433MHz band could lead to Amateur losing the
433.050
to 434.79 segment. Everybody has a right to share class licence bands
amicably.
Let me tell you something else.....if 802.11 users run up against proprietory
2.4GHz band ISM gear....they will lose. That is, will be wiped out by the
proprietory networks....why? very simple.....802.11 is a standard...its
protocols are fixed....to retain some kind of compatibility.
Proprietory equipment manufacturers can modify protocols, timings network
control etc to cater for interference etc from 802.11, read robust
performance under tough conditions, 802.11 has less flexibility on
this......from the minute knowledge I have of it.
I have decided to play 802.11 as a hobby with people who want to experiment
and have fun doing it......I don't feel like an all out war against other
ISM band users. As for 1kW on the ATV gear.....good luck to VK3JED.....IF
he wipes out the ISM band....its only a matter of time before he gets a visit.
Read the ACA regs about "knowingly causing interference" on ANY band :-)
As one of the committee of Melb Wireless I thought you would have a more
responsible attitude towards bettering the image of 802.11 and all the users.
I was looking at setting up an AP at the Melb Convention Centre in October
at the Austronics 2002 Exhibition......give me ONE good reason why I should
now bother?

Jack
Rockhampton