[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or isit just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Fri Aug 2 17:04:22 EST 2002

Susan Whitham wrote:

> One of the things I'd be interested in would be the potential for local
> community, activism and tourism information via wireless tech (say
> information on things happening local to Melbourne (or whereever) in a
> local cloud).

I'd say the best way to go about this would be contact such groups once
we have a reasonably ubiquitous mesh happening and make them aware of
our potential as a content distribution channel, a opposed to us doing
touristy-things ourselves.

I'm personally less interested in tourist-related stuff so much as I am
interested in wireless usage on local communities, and promoting greater
and deeper community participation in local community.

For instance, it's interesting to see what impact groups like Indymedia
could make on the Melbourne political landscape if they were able to
offer streaming video to the population of the city.  Multicasting
Channel 31 might be nifty.    I'm presuming that stuff like Channel 31
would work well over the network without crippling it.

> <skeptic>
> The article is really pointing at the latest "thing" that's been picked
> up by a county council/public info officer and a school of journalism
> looking for something to "offer to high tech industries that may want to
> relocate" and bring other business in.  I'd feel more confident about it
> if they said they were reacting to a perceived need/use rather a need
> for a promotional activity/updated image :)
> </skeptic>

Yeah, it's scary how profit-motivated just about anything coming out of
the US seems to be, but I guess that is the perceived role of the local
government in this regard: promoting business immigration to the area.

But, hey, just because THEY are using it to suckle at the teats of
Mammon doesn't mean we need to as well, this is, after all, an entirely
separate country for the moment.

> I'd love to see a real go at providing a community/local service/use and
> providing local content like tourism stuff (while being wary of issues
> of cost/maintenance/digital divide/etc).

Well, see, I think it requires development then outreach as opposed to
us getting involved in activism, tourism, etc.

Dwayne
mailto:ddraig at pobox.com