[MLB-WIRELESS] iwconfig - Nearly there

Ben Grech vow at optushome.com.au
Thu Apr 25 10:04:18 EST 2002

Hi Matt,

Good stuff getting it up and running. I can give you some tips if you're
running a Redhat-based distro, other distros are a little different.

> This doesnt happed from bootup, i have to issue ifup eth0 for it to get to
> this stage.

Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and change the line
ONBOOT=no to ONBOOT=yes.

> The last hurdle is to get the laptop to ping the desktop which isnt
> happening.
>
> what is a standard command line to setup the card underlinux in ad-hoc
mode
> so i can talk to the laptop?

"iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc" will change the card into ad-hoc mode. Lots of
other wireless settings can be changed this way as well, just do a
iwconfig --help to find out how.

Normally the wireless settings are stored in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, but
because you aren't using the PCMCIA drivers, I don't know how to set these
on boot. Look into the docs on the PLX drivers, it should be in there
somewhere.

Cheers,
Ben.