[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Marian Szczepkowski Marian.Szczepkowski at ericsson.com.au
Mon Apr 22 12:51:06 EST 2002

> If any of you have ever done an interview for an article before, you will
> understand that you can be mis-quoted. I believe even your own President
> Stephen Haigh was misquoted in his last interview.

> To clarify, we are NOT looking at $100/year membership fees. I don't
think
> even I would bother at that cost if it came down to it.

> These figures are not concrete yet as we are waiting on final insurance
> quotes to see if we can get better deals.

Structure can remove most of this burden.
If you as the coop/Whatever lease the equipment of the owners and any
site
maintenance and whatever is the responsibility of the equipment owner
then
you as an organisation have no insurance cost for that unit.
Any maintenance is performed by the owner.
You could be just leasing a guarantee of bandwidth.

Your role could devolve into that of a co-ordinating entity, providing
billing
services to a group of independently contracted relay units.

Shouldn't cost too much the units have no economic value in isolation,
and
only gain real value when they perform a user function.

One wireless node in desert is irrelevant, 100 connected wireless nodes
in a
city is called a network.