[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon Apr 22 08:46:30 EST 2002

| > This is pretty much my angle on it, plus the local community
| > development
| > issues, which will take years to sort out.
|
| It will be interesting to see if the AWA model works. Frankly, I wouldn't
| bother at $100/year (I pay $75/month for my Internet needs) - if that
| happened here, I'd probably consider reconfiguring my gear to operate
under
| amateur rules, for the tinker value.

If any of you have ever done an interview for an article before, you will
understand that you can be mis-quoted. I believe even your own President
Stephen Haigh was misquoted in his last interview.

To clarify, we are NOT looking at $100/year membership fees. I don't think
even I would bother at that cost if it came down to it.

These figures are not concrete yet as we are waiting on final insurance
quotes to see if we can get better deals.

Initial Membership fee - Approx $65 once off

This would cover -

Your membership "pack". There is a fair amount of paperwork that you are
required to be given (rules, reg's etc) when you join as a member. This
assists in paying for disposables.
Funding towards the infrastructure you are connecting to. It's no good
having a wireless card and an antenna and no WPOP to connect to.

Yearly Membership Fee - Approx $35/pa

This would mostly cover the insurance, as well as this any
upgrading/maintenance and other expendature relating to the every day
running of the Assoc.

As I said however, we are not concrete on these figures yet as we're hoping
for better quotes.

Think about it. $35/year.

Thats under $3 month.

| As for ourselves, I guess a lot will come into the meeting on Thursday.
I'm
| concerned about the legal aspects.  Actually, been speaking with someone
| here who has a strong legal aspect about incorporation, which we both felt
| was necessary.  But as I said, a lot of this will probably come up at the
| meeting, and that's the best forum to hash it out.

So your going to incorporate and STILL not charge membership?

Who's paying for all the insurance requirements etc?

Let me know how. I'd be interested to know.

Regards, Craig Mead
Vice President & Project Manager
Australian Wireless Association
craig at sydney.air.net.au