[MLB-WIRELESS] Sydney, AWA, fees, inquiry

David Saab dsaab at saabenterprises.com
Sun Apr 21 00:00:54 EST 2002

Sorry to take so long to reply, Dean. I have had a pretty busy time this
weekend so far..

To respond, yes, I believe that people will pay whatever they need to
pay to build an AP if they want one. We have built heaps already, and
they are working fine.

In addition, I have done hard numbers, and they don't cost anything like
a $1000 if you do it right. It can be done with as little as a few
hundred dollars.

Remember the purpose of this is so a group of people can gain access to
each other. The purpose is not to build a coporate network to be taken
advantage of by an hierachial organisation with particular goals.

Built by the people, to service the people.

Its quality and redundancy (the only 2 real issues that can be brought
up as arguments against this model) will both become moot, as long as
there are enough nodes. (the why is obvious to network designers)

It is true that the collective paying for high quality nodes will
possibly benefit the total quality and redundancy of the network,
however the downside is, that though everybody is paying for these extra
facilities, not everybody will receive the benefits.

At least our current model, is that the people who want to use the
facilities the most, takes the time and money and effort to build it,
and they also receive the most gain.

The official nodes means that certain individuals will gain facilities
that outstrips the norm by a significant factor.

I don't want to pay for somebody else's access. But I'll pay for my own.

Just to really make this point, I'll refer to an example used that I
once heard.

It isn't for our benefit that the baker gets up at 3am to bake the
bread, but for his own self interest. However we still get fresh bread
in the morning.

By this I mean, if its in everybodies self interest to put up a node so
he/she can be part of the network, then they will. The result being that
we get a reliable network with redundancy.

The internet was founded on this concept.

You don't think ISP's have lots of bandwidth to make you guys happy do
you? The do it so they can make a profit and to feed their kids, pay
their mortgage and afford their car. They do it for their self interest.

The result is that you get the internet without having to for the
building of an ISP. (the cost of which to service this number would cost
around $150,000.00)

So to conclude, I say NO to membership fees!

D.