[MLB-WIRELESS] Sydney, AWA, fees, inquiry

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 20 05:29:57 EST 2002

Further to the discussion about our relationship with Sydney, their fees etc.

In light of the current Federal inquiry into broadband wireless, I
believe it would be a good idea to be forming alliances, not breaking
them at this point.  It is vital that the amateur/community/hobby
wireless movement in Australia presents as united a front as possible
to this inquiry.  If we spend all our time squabbling with other
groups about who's a profiteer, and who is the most community minded,
we will end up looking like a total waste of time to the feds.

In fact, I think it would be a good idea to have a national
representative body for the wireless freenet movement, outside and
above the control of any of the regional networks.  This body should
be disconnected from the operation of any actual networks, and
operate solely as a lobbying voice on a national level, and to
facilitate communication and co-operation between networks.

I would like to point out that charging fees does not make AWA a
profit-making business.  A co-op or association can charge whatever
fees they see fit, they are simply forbidden from distributing any
excess above operating costs as profit to members or shareholders.
Any excess must be put back into the organisation.  Even your local
footy club charges fees.  If the directors of a co-op or ass'n were
found to be distributing profits, they could be charged with a crime
under the appropriate act.

Let's not dismiss the Sydney crew until we know more.  I believe
their answer on the message board more than adequately counters each
of the criticisms levelled at them.

I won't even get into the discussion about whether _we_ should be
charging a fee. :-)

Clae.
--
  Yahoo has decided to charge $30 US pa for mail forwarding.
                     clae at tpg.com.au
   Please change your address book entry if you have one
   I will still check my yahoo account from time to time.
                           Clae