[MLB-WIRELESS] nex gen agere products

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Wed Apr 17 14:09:16 EST 2002

Drew wrote:

>   stolen from http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/AprilMeeting2002
> sounds like cool stuff on the horizon.
>
> "We started with John Richey from Agere Systems. He gave a very
> interesting presentation on the current line of Orinoco products, and
> what's up and coming. Fear not, this was not a sales pitch, John has
> been working on wireless stuff for years, and he knows his stuff. He
> talked about the next gen. APs, and features. It sounds like the new APs
> will be ARM based processors (200mhz?) with lots of room for flash. He
> touched on RealTime? <http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/RealTime>
> OSes, and how the new devices will be optimized for them. He had a
> number of 'show off' devices, including the new 802.11b cards (small
> form factor! two cards in a notebook!), dual card AP's, the new RG line
> of WAPS with two ethernet interfaces, etc."

Seattle Wireless actually have some Real Media streaming video of this
meeting up on their web site at the above April Meeting link.

The John Richey presentation starts about 10 minutes into the 3 hour !!
stream and is worth having a look at, not only for the product
announcements but as a general heads up on what is going on in terms of
wireless commercial deployments and technological developments.

They don't have anyone operating the camera and after shooting the N
connector termination demo on Friday I can relate to that :-)