[MLB-WIRELESS] Computerworld U.S. Robotics doubles speed of 802.11b wireless LA N

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Apr 17 11:22:07 EST 2002

> Intersil Corp are the main force behind the HomePlug standard
> that gets 11M
> bps over powerlines using OFDM. There was an article in the
> April Circuit
> Cellar about this. The nice feature of this technology is
> that it can be
> made to look like Ethernet at the link layer so making a
> bridge from wired
> to powerline networking is easy. When the cost of the
> technology comes down
> it should be possible to have all sort of appliances on a
> home network just
> by plugging them in.

Hmm, I have concerns about the RF interference aspect of powerline
technology - how much it radiates RF and how susceptible it is to RF
interference (i.e. can I park under your powerlines on the street and DoS
you with a 100W HF transmitter? ;)).

At RF, powerlines are generally poorly balanced, and therefore prone to
radiating (and presumably receiving) RF.

Let's see what it looks like in the wash.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.