[MLB-WIRELESS] AWA

Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au
Thu Apr 11 12:37:29 EST 2002

My main concern about voting membership being open to anyone who just wants
to sign up is that its open to abuse. It would be relatively easy for
someone to stack a meeting or a vote. While the group has no assets and
relys on cooperation then things are fine. I'm sure people can think of
suitable horror stories or scenarios.
I don't think that people should need to be a member to access the network
and classifying the guy in the cafe who uses my AP to check his email as a
member might be stretching the point.
There might be a further layer of services that people would need to join
to obtain (eg possibly internet to make it legal). I don't think there
should be any restrictions on joining either. I do think that a waiting
period should apply to new members when it comes to voting and applying for
things like executive positions. Obviously we need to take into account
that the group is very new so waiting periods should probably just be long
enough for us to see trouble approaching and duck at this stage.

I think there needs to be a relatively narrow definition of membership that
would probably include most of the people on this list.

Matt