[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless card difficulty

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Apr 10 08:39:41 EST 2002

> Your card was in AP client mode, what you want is host ap
> mode. That is
> only available in Linux with prism2 chipsets afaik.
> (Enterasys is hermes
> chipset)  What is wrong with ibss (adhoc) mode?

In many cases, you don't want an AP (or having one means you need a bit more
wired infrastructure in your wireless DMZ).  The only problem I see with
iBSS is when you have hidden transmitters, which can happen in some
circumstances.  With hidden transmitters present, from what I've read,
you're better off running an AP and have all traffic go through that.  That
might sound like a performance hit, until you realise that a CSMA/CA
channel's efficiency takes a huge nosedive once utilisation increases beyond
around 18%.

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain