[MLB-WIRELESS] another stupid q, about dhcp

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Apr 4 08:31:10 EST 2002

> > use IPv6 (is that how its written?)
>
> An admirable sentiment, in my view, although that _will_ get
> you flamed
> around these parts.

I'm inspired to take on the IPv6 challenge myself and am now seriously
planning to implement it at home.  Why?  A combination of curiosity (it's
there, give it a go), and professional interest (when the world goes IPv6,
I'll have a head start :) ).

> Once more, for the record, I think we should run both IPv4
> and IPv6.  IPv4
> for the core and base network that everyone can use and IPv6
> as well for
> the more adventurous among us.

Agreed.  I'd like to see a hybrid network with both IPv4 and IPv6 support.
However, I'm not gonna tell everyone how to run their system, but if you
want to see me on IPv6, I'd be glad to hook up! :).

> > most people trying to get on our network will only use ipv4
> so wal-la
>
> No.  This is security through obscurity at best.  Besides,
> many operating
> systems support IPv6 already and it's easy to work out you're
> dealing with
> an IPv6 network with a packet sniffer.
>
> (BTW, there are bad guys on the 6Bone already.)

Therein lies another challenge - security in a new frontier...  sounds like
FUN! :-)

> > is there a webpage i can read up about ipv6 and is there
> winxp support for
> > it?
>
> Try www.6bone.net for starters.

And yes, Microsoft does have support for Win NT, Win 2k and Win XP.  Follow
the 6bone links, I had an interesting read and downloaded one of the Win2k
IPv6 stacks. :)

> Otherwise, use the Google, Luke.  The best way to learn is to
> try.  And of
> course there is no try, only do.  :)

Agreed... :-)

> </Yoda>

LOL

But I'm up fpr IPv6...  Hopefully I won't break anything...  My network
config already has a lot of quirks. :-)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain