[MLB-WIRELESS] [BSD] wavelan bridging (fwd)

vortex vortex at free2air.net
Tue Apr 2 02:49:49 EST 2002

OK. I get asked this quite often. The background reasons for my preference
for IBSS mode are that host based gateways, except for some chipsets/firmware
will not work (yet) in BSS AP mode (this is the ubiquity element).

And as you rightly point out AP-AP communication is not standardised.

My aim in this eventually is to ensure that any client that connects to a
wlan network can easily become a a further gateway or "AP" itself (a sort of
evolutionary p2p network expansion). This presently seems most achievable via
IBSS mode.

Yes, there is still the hidden node issue, but there are ways of getting
around this, from judicious subnetting to IP tunnelling.

.vortex