[MLB-WIRELESS] Suitable Places for testing

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Sep 27 11:50:34 EST 2001

> I'm looking for a place preferably flat, or somewhere where I
> can get clear Line Of Sight between
> to points, roughly 5km's, 10km's and possibly even 15km's if
> there is such as place. Once I have
> found this, I would like to try signal strength and quailty
> measurements, and also speed tests
> between these distances.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on where I can do this??

Go west! :-)

The western suburbs and beyond lie on a basalt plain.  There's alo a number
of small hills that you can use for a bit of elevation.

If yu put one end on a mountain  (You Yangs, Mt Macedon, Mt Ridley, etc),
you can get in excess of 50km LOS to play with.  I've done radio contesting
from Mt Macedon (55km NW Melb) and Mt Ridley (30km N), with excellent
results (including some "where the hell are you" reports?).