[MLB-WIRELESS] Roaming node?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Sep 25 12:01:02 EST 2001

> Oh, yes, of course there needs to be connectivity and as you
> say higher
> speed is always better.  I guess I just am not sure why you need it to
> be a VPN rather than a general internet connection.  My other point is

I'm making the assumption that the wireless router is not necessarily the
gateway machine.  Also keep in mind that the wireless router, wherever it is
will need to be easily accessible from _within_ someone's wireless network,
not just at their border router/gateway (this one is obvious - is your
machine was at the border, you would have the DSL or cable modem attached to
it!).  Having networks linked into a larger VPN simplifies these issues, and
makes one less dependent on the configuration of a particular network's
firewall/router.

> that it is not the link between one access point and the next one that
> you roam to that is important, rather the performance is set
> by the link
> between the roaming point and your home network.  So instead
> of needing
> to have direct links from one AP to the next, it should work Ok if you
> have each AP connected to a cable modem or ADSL for instance

Yes, that's true.  But I was making the point that modem wouldn't be
sufficient. :)

> These are pretty minor points I guess.  Mostly I agree with
> you.  If we
> could set up wide area mobile IP coverage it would be pretty cool.  A
> suburban area that you could wander round with continuous coverage!

Something to play around with.  You wouldn't be able to roam in the sense of
use a notebook on a tram with this thing, the RF link budgets wouldn't cope
(remember, we're talking low gain omnidirectional antennas for notebook
roaming, and the node density is low), but it would be great for "let's sit
on this hill and do a bit of net surfing" :-)  I would get a lot out of this
style of operation, could play radio on VHF/UHF and liaise on the Net or
fill out electronic QSLs on the wireless link. :)