[MLB-WIRELESS] milestone

Jonathan Soh quebeck5 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 20:00:01 EST 2001

Couldn't you just write for each node near yours, every 5 meters or so, check
to see if the land is rising, then whether it's falling (ie there's a hill
between you and the node), and flag a certain height hill (5 meters or so) so
indicate that you don't have (obvious) LOS? this wouldn't have to be every
time the map is called, it could be stored for every pair of nodes. This will
be far from realistically calculating whether you've got LOS, but I'm a bit
[insert self defamatory remark here] when it comes to my own geographics, and
looking at the node map doesn't help at all (no, I haven't gotten out the
binoculars/e-mailed ppl, 1) it never occurred to me :-) 2) there's only ONE
operational node within 20 km of me).

> > Off topic, is there a way to program into the node map an
> > indicator telling
> > you, geographically, whether you have LOS to an operational
> > node? Discounting
> > tree, roof tops, etc, just depending on hills/elevation.
>
> You need path profiling software to do this, and even then, results are not
> always what you expect.  I live in an area where profiling software is far
> from accurate, unless the terrain info is extremely detailed.

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!