[MLB-WIRELESS] milestone

korg at darkqueen.org korg at darkqueen.org
Mon Sep 24 15:42:43 EST 2001

"Drew" writes In message <012f01c144aa$c7f3b050$0300000a at dhr>:
  | Just hit 100 users on the mailing list, and 129 nodes. woot.
  |
  | For those who aren't operational, what is the main obstacle? Cost? Time?
  | Line of sight? Not knowing where to get parts? Not knowing what to do? Lost
  | interest? other?

For me its the cost/use ratio :)  Im not really happy to
lash out on cards unless I had a fair idea that it'd all
work (especially without line of sight which I probably dont
have).

Maybe one thing that would really help would be a 'loaner'
card and aerial.  If I could 'borrow' the kit for a day and make
sure it'd work then Id be in for sure, but Im not really
keen to purchase cards and aerials only to find that I cant
connect to anything.

An hour with a laptop on my roof would probably sell me one
way or the other.... :)

I know that collecting $'s makes things more complex, so
ignoring the idea of membership fees or a 'club' card and
a $20 borrowing fee, maybe a share 'order' system could work
where people get together to order hardware and try it and pass it
on if its no use to them. Eg, 5 people get together, order a card, and
then pass it round to test in their own setup, then, say 2
people cant get anything and 3 can, one person keeps the
ordered card and the two remaining order the same thing.
That way the people get to test stuff first.

Er, hope that makes some sense.

  | -D
*shrugs*,
cam