[MLB-WIRELESS] milestone

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Sep 24 14:11:37 EST 2001

Not knowing where to get the parts and the time to put it all together is my
main obstacle. I've spat the dummy at Linux one too many times to want to go
back there in a hurry, so that's another obstacle. Trying to connect my
network to bigpuddle and use the redhat box as a router is bad enough. I've
gone back to the netgear router I was using beforehand. Much simpler.

One only needs to ask around. :).  I can help with general networking issues
(haven't played around with big puddle tho - I have sloptus :) ).  However,
I have a router/firewall running quite well, with multiple VPNs, support for
voice/video chat from the Windows clients, full IRC and ICQ support, and
etc, etc.  I will be documenting the box, once I get my email and web
proxies up (these are going in for security reasons, to minimise the risk of
infection from things like Nimda and anything similar in the future).  The
firewall is under constant development (like all good security systems :) ),
and will be documented for the benefit of people like yourself trying to set
something up.

Adding wireless shouldn't be too much of a drama, except for the potential
for IP conflicts, adding more wierd and wonderful ipchains rules (as if it's
not tricky enough already!), and supporting a wider range of protocols. :-)

I'me also about to move my web site (all 120 meg of it!) to another place,
as I've been offered space with 100 Mbps to the Net. :)