[MLB-WIRELESS] bandwidth issues for the future/internet access

dwayne ddraig at pobox.com
Tue Oct 30 17:03:44 EST 2001

Victor Rajewski wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:39:40PM +1000, Barry Park wrote:
> > > My understanding is that:
> > >
> > > (i) Unless you have express consent from your ISP, feeding your Internet
> > > service into an open wireless connection will be against both the ISP's
> > > business model and possibly even the law.
> >
> > I don't know of any law that prohibits you from letting your neighbour use
> > your internet connection. This isn't Napster. Not everything fun is illegal.
>
> AFAIK, it _is_ illegal to run a piece of coax from ur computer over the
> fence to ur neighbours computer. I wouldn't think this would apply to
> wireless, but who knows what those lawyers can come up with...

As far as I am aware it specifically relates to wires.

there's Dennis someone in Williamstown who linked his neighbourhood up
via infra-red lasers.
He expressed some interest in joining this list when it got hopping.
Might mail him again soonish.

WRT this: refer to my previous comment of that Perth networking company.
I'm at my parents' place grabbing my mail, I'll look up their message
and fwd it to the list when I'm online next (a week, unless we get this
Optus cable in sooner).

Or look it up on the samba-wireless mailing list, if they have archives.

http://www.samba.org  I think

> Might be worth approaching the powers-that-be to maybe get something like
> this going as a public service; hell, they want to put optical-fibre to
> the kerbside in tasmania, and everyones talking about hooking the country
> to the net, this might be a worthwhile proposal. Then again, the telcos
> who fund the political parties wouldn't like it....

My suggestion is we do it on a much more manageable scale and approach
councils, individually, about hooking up services to clinics, libraries,
council offices etc on a council-by-council basis.

With any luck we might get some funding AND be able to play them off
against each other.

There is a lot of funding out there for things like this.  Consider the
Telematics Trust, for instance.

Dwayne