Addressing, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues

magrathea at subdimension.com magrathea at subdimension.com
Tue Oct 30 03:10:24 EST 2001

Adrian Close spoke the following:

> need.  APANA have a bunch of address space they're not using.  I'm sure
> other people have spare bits and pieces and we may even be able to get an
> allocation from APNIC if we ask nicely.  And of course there's plenty of
> IPv6 space available...  *ducks*

Yeah, I'm sure someone will "give" us some ipv4 numbers.... a bit pricey
me thinks. What is the going price for a class C, $15k ?

As for ipv6, I think you can get as many as you want from somewhere at
melb uni. Joseph? We were talking about that the other day?

As for the actual nodes and what ppl want to run, who cares. Run what you
like. Whether it be ipsec, or whatever it makes no difference, you should
have some sort of public endpoint anyway. Stick a www server on it,
possibly an ftp server of some such. You run the node, so put whatever you
want on it. Thats what makes this so cool. :-)

Finally, making 802.11 _the_ standard is ok, but, I dont understand the
difference. ie:

A <-------> B <---------> C <----------------> D <--------------> E
DSS modem      802.11        wavelan legacy       packet radio!

Its transparent anyway, as long as there is a way into the network using
802.11 then you can use the other links as well. I may be doing this in
some way anyway. ie: public nodes could be: B or C, D, E. if you already
have packet radio equipment, you can join! (no i dont, just an example)
This should broaden the amount of ppl who are able to join.

You may want a vpn between A <--> D. So do it, encrypt it, its your
equipment do with it what you wish.

---
Danny