[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is by ninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

Joseph Sirucka jsirucka at dodgyware.com
Tue Oct 30 00:05:53 EST 2001

Hi

Tony Langdon wrote:

> > I suspect the equipment will be whatever people decide to use (can
> > beg/borrow/steal).  802.11 sounds like a good candidate for a
> > "recommended
> > standard" and it does seem to have critical mass.
>
> We do need some "standards", and anyone running a major backbone or other
> heavily populated link should be running 802.11 for maximum
> interoperability.  However, that should not preclude individual nodes making
> private arrangements to run something else - but obviously, at least one of
> that group would need 802.11 to link in with the main body of the network
> and act as a gateway.

I think the standard is 802.11 since most people are using this and if two standards are used that would mean
interoperability between people, and two groups would develop. I think the general concenous would be whatever
802.11 gear works. As to a backbone, I think most people will be using each other in a criss-cross fashion to
connect to each other, so a backbone as such won't develop.

Joseph