[MLB-WIRELESS] more important issues <aka: guerilla radio is byninjas, for ninjas. Worked for global IP's development!>

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Sun Oct 28 15:29:14 EST 2001

Adrian Close wrote:

> I am reminded of the scene in the Monty Python movie "The Holy Grail"
> depicting the interaction of the "king" and the "peasants".
> > All equipment will be 802.11 based unless otherwise approved.
> "Oooooh - what a giveaway!"
>
> Keywords are "recommendation" and "information".

> I think we can probably change the language around to be a little less
> dictatorial.

Gday All
i had intended to lurk a little longer but i'd like to coment on
Adrian's excellent post so forgive me if i go over old ground

As a would be "peasant" I'm most happy for the "kings to tell me
what to do as long as i get a regular chance to decide who's the
king. I'm a post Age article joiner and my biggest frustration
was that the information presented is a bit*too* democratic. I'm
handy with computers but no unix genius so I'd prefer more
direction eg "here's the 3 best choices for pci card, xyz
software is a good choice and we find this antenna to be easiest
for these conditions" (let the people who are clever apply to be king)

IMHO "More nodes is better" is a self evident truth. And I think
a bit of guided democracy can help this along by making it
easier for those of us who are less technical to join up. I've
already got out on my roof and tried to figure out who i could
link to through all the lovely trees and it comes down to just a
couple  of visible rooftops. My chance of getting a unix and
antenna guru under one of those roofs is slim so i think
feasibility requires broad community participation.

I'm in the same area as Adrian (judging by the Monty Python
reference possibly the same agegroup) <grin> and I know our
local council has funding for community IT projects. If we had a
organisational structure in place we'd have a good chance of
funding.

Kind Regards
Nick Sibbing