[MLB-WIRELESS] Private network? I think not...

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Fri Oct 26 11:49:25 EST 2001

-->"Adrian" == Adrian Close <adrian at close.wattle.id.au> writes:

  Adrian> The more I think about this (and I've been doing so for some
  Adrian> years now) the more I am convinced that there is no such
  Adrian> thing as a "private network".  If you connect it to the
  Adrian> Internet, it becomes part of the Internet.

except that there are connections and connections.

from a purist's perspective, unless you have an unfiltered,
bidirectional gateway, your participation in the Internet is
incomplete.

i don't think this contradicts your basic point, however ;-)

  Adrian> Even if you don't connect it to the Internet (unlikely, in
  Adrian> my view), you should assume that it is, because it will
  Adrian> be...

and for things like node numbering, it is insane to assume otherwise
(i've heard recently that Telstra has internal IP networks that use
addresses allocated to other entities on the public Internet.
craziness!)

but i think it is useful to distinguish (from a routing POV) between
packets using a "free" network and packets that have to transit a
bandwidth-charged or capped network.

assuming that you *can* (or will be able to one day) reach the
internet is sensible, but architecting your network services so you
don't always have to could be beneficial.