[MLB-WIRELESS] Orinoco card as an Access Point

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Wed Oct 24 09:42:06 EST 2001

iBSS = ad-hoc mode
BSS = AP mode aka. infrastructure mode

from the faq:

Q: What's the difference between an Access Point and a PC Card?
A: An AP is basically a dedicated PC, which runs in Infrastructure mode.
This means client traffic first goes through it, then to it's
destination. 2 AP's can not talk to each other unless they are in
bridging mode, and very few AP's are capable of this. While in bridging
mode, they cannot talk to clients. PC Cards are PCMCIA or PCI or USB
adapters which usually run in Ad-hoc mode. This means there is no
central AP in which traffic is routed, it is a peer to peer mesh where
the first person starts it, and everyone else joins, and sends traffic
directly to each other. Some PC Cards can also be set to Infrastructure
(AP) mode, namely Prism2 based cards.

-D