[MLB-WIRELESS] [proposal] IP allocation (was: DNS, DHCP, static ip... )

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 23:13:51 EST 2001

>   Drew> seems to me having everyone run something like mobile mesh
>   Drew> that automatically handles all of the routing would be the
>   Drew> ideal solution.
>
> i haven't yet read through the drafts, so i cannot comment with any
> authority on its applicability yet.
>
> in the overview pages i skimmed, it seemed that it was aimed at
> *mobile* nodes, and i wonder if that means it is less suitable for our
> usage in which most of the nodes will be stationary?

i use mobile mesh for fixed wired ethernet networks as well,
i have tested it on a network of a a dozen machines with a
mixture of point to point wirefull and wireless ethernet

but, there is a small gotcha, which is a problem with the
current implementation, you still need to set a default gateway.
which can be done statically, or through another routing protocol.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | There are two things     |