[MLB-WIRELESS] [proposal] IP allocation (was: DNS, DHCP, static ip... )

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Wed Nov 21 21:08:31 EST 2001

-->"Kim" == Kim Hawtin <kim at aldigital.co.uk> writes:

  Kim> i worked for a large ISP in queensland and we had to reallocate
  Kim> the IP address space because (we first used RIP,) the routing
  Kim> was a nightmare... IP allocation on geography is a very tricky
  Kim> thing to manage.

that sounds like valuable experience Kim -- could you elaborate on the
difficulties you faced?

  Kim> use the DNS namespace to determine geographic region.

i think the use of DNS addresses a different goal.  the only reason to
influence IP address allocation according to geography is to reduce
the number of the routing prefixes that must be known by every router
in the mesh.

putting geographic info in the DNS might be useful for other purposes,
but won't help routing.

  Kim> you need to find a solution that you can expand on later as
  Kim> most people are reluctant to change their IP address once they
  Kim> have implemented them.

the only solution that will safely "expand later", IMO, is the use of
IPv6 and a real, APNIC-allocated address space.

by using IPv4 we are committing ourselves to NAT, to finicky selection
of sub-range lengths, and a whole range of ongoing issues, at the
benefit of simple current deployment.