[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11 and 802.11b

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Nov 16 08:10:21 EST 2001

> Assuming that the access point could communicate with the
> 2mbit(802.11)
> cards, is it then forced to use 802.11 for all conections? or, can it
> operate in both modes at the same time. Would the 2mbit cards spread
> the load across the full 11mbit range of the access point or would it
> flood a particular section of it? I'm thinking probably more the
> latter. Also, would the ping times be acceptable for gaming
> with say 5-
> 10 people all using 802.11 withing say 100m of each other?

Good questions...  I don't really know, but one worth following up on.  The
2 Mbps cards would not be able to decode the 10 Mbps signals at all, which
would be a problem for the collision avoidance mechanism.

I'd be inclined to try and keep the 2 Mbps links separate to avoid
problems...  But as they say, only one way to find out. :)