[MLB-WIRELESS] Packet scheduling [aka: What do people want to do with the wirele ss connection?]

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Tue Nov 13 10:19:53 EST 2001

> Given that we control the internal network, I strongly
> suggest we look
> into this sort of thing, so we *can* do huge transfers while not
> interfering with gaming, telephony etc.

Don't you mean telephony, *then* gaming?

Off the top of my head, isn't there a QOS field in the TCP/IP header that is
indicitave of the importance of the packet?  Don't most apps already set
this to appropriate values?
The real question is do routers acutally *use* this information when doing
packet scheduling, or do most routers simply fire the packets out FIFO
style?  How can linux or any other OS be told what to do with important
packets?