[MLB-WIRELESS] Ready to connect in Croydon?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Nov 9 08:23:34 EST 2001

> Is there something you know that we dont?  What is the
> difference exactly
> between them and us?  Ive got a list from Cisco what
> frequencies belong to
> who, but it doesnt show Australia.  Most gear could just be
> flashed or have
> an option under setup for zoning surely.

One of the guys on this list (Hi Dave) will know more than I do, but
basically the ISM band (2.4 GHz) is defined differently here than in the US,
but the ACA (in a wise move) have allowed US spec gear to operate at a lower
EIRP level (0.2 instead of 4W).

And yes, at least some gear can be reprogrammed to Aussie specs.

FYI, the Aussie band limits are 2400 - 2463 MHz.  The US band is 2400-2483
(or thereabluts, don't quote me on the exact figures).  Because of the
nature of spread spectrum, it is not always possible to "not use" the "extra
bit" - the spreading sequence usually needs a tweak.

As I said, this is sometimes possible in the card's NVRAM.