[MLB-WIRELESS] Site Survey Kit

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Dec 18 17:54:11 EST 2001

At 04:40 PM 18/12/2001 +1100, you wrote:

>What would people recommend to include in a site survey kit.
>I am thinking of several things here.  Cost, Survey job (i.e. long range vs.
>indoor), Available antennas.
>
>Things I would like to include are:
>GPS
>2x Parabolic Antennas, Omni Antenna
>Notebook
>AP of some description (with external antenna jack)
>Orinoco Silver card
>Some nifty spreadsheet templates/ Database for storing data
>
>Anyone have any other suggestions?

For long haul/tricky links, I'd find the following additional hardware useful:

Narrowband (carrier/CW) transmitter (you need an amateur licence to drive
it though) with variable power output.

All mode receiver/downconverter.

These will allow you to see how far off a path you are.  If you hear squat
on this combo, forget wireless and order a cable/xDSL connection. :-)  If
you hear something, you can fiddle with antenna gain/height for best
signal, then have a crack with the "real thing". :)

In the initial stages, as I have most of the necessary gear (Would like a
450 MHz SSB receiver, though the FM ones I have should be sufficient, since
they should still exhibit greater sensitivity than any WLAN card due to
their narrower bandwidth), I don't mind the occasional trip to a site where
trying the link "cold" has failed, and those concerned want a closer look
at the available signal strength.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed