[MLB-WIRELESS] Guidance wanted

Drew Whittle drew at lug.net.nz
Tue Dec 18 09:06:21 EST 2001

Hi,

We are looking at setting up a wireless community network in Dunedin
(New Zealand) and since you guys seem to have a reasonable setup going I
thought I'd pick your brains if possible.

Background: We plan to eventually span the city from north to south,
(city == big country town, we have about 100,000 population). Dunedin is
on the coast and has lots of big hills and deep valley's. Although the
south part of town is fairly flat.

My Background: I'm a sys admin, I no very little about wireless, and I
don't think many others in the group know a great deal either.

I haven't discussed it with the others as yet, but my thoughts are to
basically run a backbone across town and then have AP's hang off that.
The AP's would be subnetted so that only traffic destined for another
point on the network would enter the backbone. Is this the way you guys
do it?

What makes a good AP, would you recommend a purchased one, or build one
out of a pc and linux.

What are the preferred cards to use?

I know there are lots of issues with aerial's etc, and I'll leave that
alone for now. (The first task for me is to wire(less) 4 or 5 houses in
my street as a trial)

Thanks for any help you can give,

:D