[MLB-WIRELESS] propaganda squad

Allan Langford allanlangford at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 17:03:02 EST 2001

Some ideas.......

All this is good BUT we need to get some company's
involved someone like yahoo (anyone besides microsoft)
who has something to gain from getting more users as
Really without content whats a wireless network got to
offer? i think the first step would be to get as many
of the uni's and TAFE's as posable interested and get
them to put in some public access points and use there
main microwave links to join up the local public ones
this will benefit them in they can brag to there
prospective students about there wireless networking
and benefit us with more access points (most are at
least 2 story buildings should give respectable range)
and if we can get RMIT in the city what could start
some CBD coverage! and if one of the unis will offer
an Internet gateway that would be great... all depends
on what you guys want to do should melb wireless
become a legit non profit club would make for some
buying power on network gear! will definitely need
organisation or else there will be ip address clashes
this is going to bring back the days of the BBS when
you could just dial in! an online "phone book" of IP
addresses would be a good idea so once on people can
just type in say 192.168.100.01 (use post codes for
the last digits should do till IPv4 takes off??? i
have been out of networking for awhile forgive me!)
for example reservoir access point could be
192.168.130.173 (3073 being the post code 23x.xxx for
users, interstate groups could use the same policy)
and on that have a web page with links to the nodes
currently active in that area (businesses in the area
with there web pages!) and promote access within the
range of that access point try and keep inter-access
point activity minimal to save bandwidth. these are
just ideas as i could see this blowing up if we
promote wireless access and it takes off without any
plan it will just be a mess if it stays neat we can
have one 24/7 WAN party without lugging our monitors
around! and maybe even get someone else to pay for the
access points!

Allan