[MLB-WIRELESS] cheap cards

korg at darkqueen.org korg at darkqueen.org
Thu Aug 16 12:00:04 EST 2001

"Jeremy Howard" writes In message
<000901c125d4$8ec03460$1700a8c0 at samantha>:
  | Drew wrote:
  | > netgear pci adapter $37 usd
  | > netgear pcmcia card $96 usd
  | >
  | After you've paid for shipping, I think you'll find it cheaper to
buy in Oz
  | :
  |   http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?CAT:NW#Tof
  |
  | AUD$99 PCI cradle; AUD$299 PCMCIA card.

I was so surprised to find an 802.11 card in the latest Dick Smith
junkmail :). It was a litte more expensive than the above price.
  D-LINK 802.11b 11Mbps DWL-650 Cat No. XH7926 A$398.00
Its almost like this tech is becoming available :)

Anyway, I guess I should say hi to the list, "Hi list!" and
tell a bit about myself and stuff.

Im a unix/linux sysadmin and network admin by day and a sad
geek by night.

I hadnt really considered wireless stuff before, but here's
my problem :)......

Im really looking for to connect two houses in the malvern/glen iris
area and the distance is only about 650 meters by catapult.

Now the bad news. Both are in a valley and in between are trees, lumps
of ground, houses, an major above ground ground powerline and a soddin'
great freeway with big 'sound blocking' walls. :) So I guess that rules
out
line of sight. :)

Im not sure how 'bad' that makes it, but none of that can be
good :). I was sort of hoping that a directional antenna and happily
beaming radiation all over the 'hood would get me through :).
What do people in the 'know' think my chances are?

Im really looking for the house2house link at the moment, but if a
by product was connecting into your network too then that'd be cool.
I love to tinker ;).

Id like to plot myself on the map, but alas:
  --- www1.ogdc.vic.gov.au ping statistics ---
  100 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Ah, the joys of networks :) :)

cheers,
cam

--
 / `Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood at darkqueen.org    Roleplaying, virtual goth
\

 \  [+61 3] 9809 1523[h]         skeptic, Evil GM(tm). Sysadmin for hire
/