[kernel-xen] Fwd: [Xen-announce] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Xen 4.9.0 is released

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Jun 29 23:29:31 AEST 2017

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 10:01:49 PM AEST Christoph wrote:
> Hi
>
> it is possible to get a package with grub2 image for xen? (I've compiled
> it for myself and use it since some time without problems)

Are you meaning the pvgrub2 loader? The problem we have here is to do things
properly, we need to rebuild the entire grub package - which means replacing
the distro provided grub2 package that you depend on to boot. This is not
something I'd take lightly.

If someone would take the time to understand the grub2 build procedure well
enough to build and package just pvgrub2 and its dependencies, I would
certainly accept a patch to do so.

> and it would be nice to have a 'provides' in the packages for generic
> xen tags like xen-devel, xen, xen-libs etc and not only for the strict
> version

This has issues with multi-versions in the repo. If I provide xen-devel with
xen49, then people installing xen-devel with xen47 installed will get the
xen49-devel package.

This makes things rather difficult unless we depend on specific versions and
conflict the others.

I did consider just shipping a bare bones (ie empty) xen-devel package - but
that seems like a nasty kludge more than a solution.

--
Steven Haigh

📧 netwiz at crc.id.au	💻 http://www.crc.id.au
📞 +61 (3) 9001 6090	📱 0412 935 897