[kernel-xen] Kernel Archive

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Tue Jul 15 17:36:15 EST 2014

On 15/07/2014 10:14 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Is there an archive of older kernels provided in the repository? There
> are many reasons why forcing the latest and only the latest version on
> people simply isn't useful.

There isn't an archive of older releases. The 'rapid' upgrade to 3.14
was mainly for the implementation of greatly improved disk subsystem in
Xen - which has been discussed here before. Unless there are major
changes / improvements in the Xen Dom0 backends, I don't foresee moving
from the longterm 3.14 branch for a while.

The older versions are removed due to disk space limitations in some of
the sites hosting mirrors. I try to keep at least 4 previous versions on
the mirrors at all times in case there are any issues with the latest
release.

> For example, I have an Nvidia GPU on my dom0 and use ZFS. Until
> recently, ZoL didn't support kernels as recent as 3.14, and Nvidia
> drivers newer than 319.x are broken for Xen dom0 use. Running with a
> 3.14 kernel requires a newer Nvidia driver than 319.x series.
>
> Consequently I am still running 3.9.9, and now that new ZoL was released
> that supports newer kernels I wanted to upgrade as far as Nvidia driver
> would allow, but I can't because the only upgrade option is to 3.14,
> which requires a newer Nvidia driver, which is broken.

3.9.x was EoL'ed quite a while ago. 3.10, 3.12 & 3.14 are now in long
term support - with 3.15 being stable and finally 3.16 as mainline.

I understand the issues with linux and kernel implementations -
especially when it comes to those damn graphics card drivers - but I had
to make a compromise here.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au