[kernel-xen] Upgrade path from Xen 4.2 to 4.3.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Jan 24 23:47:14 EST 2014

On 24/01/14 10:59, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:49:55 +1100
> Steven Haigh wrote:
>
>> 1) Refuse to install if there are DomU's running; or
>> 2) Shutdown running DomUs (call service xendomains stop), and then
>> install.
>>
>> I see downfalls in both here... Option 1 has the problem of breaking a
>> seamless install or upgrade. Option 2 assumes that you want to do
>> something.
>
> Steve,
>
> Regardless of the upgrade path, I'd pretty much prefer publishing Xen
> 4.3 packages in a separate repo for production, say kernel-xen-xen43,
> disabled by default. This way we can get the best of both worlds:
> - People stuck with 4.2 will continue to use it, while:
> - Early 4.3 adopters will have the ability to run tests and contribute
>   to the cause without affecting 4.2 users.

Well, that is pretty much the aim of the testing repo. It gets packages
that are in this kind of state before they come across to the main repo.
By the time it gets into the normal kernel-xen repo it should be pretty
much final.

> Although, I know maintaining yet another repo isn't exactly on your
> personal wishlist :)

It isn't at the moment - however I aim for a seemless upgrade. However,
this means testing needs to happen. As I only have a couple of machines
to test this on, it really needs people to play via the testing repo and
help test in as many scenarios as possible.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au