[kernel-xen] Upgrade path from Xen 4.2 to 4.3.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sat Jan 18 18:49:55 EST 2014

Hi all,

Trying to get some feedback on the most preferred way to handle an
upgrade from Xen 4.2 -> 4.3.

I'm looking at upgrading the packages in the repo soon to Xen 4.3 but
that has the side effect that until the system is rebooted, you can't
shut down or manage domains until rebooted.

ie:
1) Upgrade to Xen 4.3 RPMs via yum
2) Cannot shutdown DomUs due to having v4.3 installed.
3) DomU's eventually get hard reset on reboot.

The correct procedure to upgrade would be:
1) Shutdown running DomU's (service xendomains stop)
2) Upgrade Xen (yum -y update)
3) Reboot the Dom0.

Now, this makes me wonder... We could check the running version of Xen
at install time of the new package - but there are two directions we
could take:

1) Refuse to install if there are DomU's running; or
2) Shutdown running DomUs (call service xendomains stop), and then install.

I see downfalls in both here... Option 1 has the problem of breaking a
seamless install or upgrade. Option 2 assumes that you want to do something.

What option would people here prefer?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au