[kernel-xen] xen-pciback in 3.8.x - Also Too many frags error

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Mar 6 19:48:48 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 6:47 PM, povder wrote:

>> I've changed the config for the next build to inbuild the pciback features
>> instead of modules...
>>

> Thanks :)
>
>> There are a few issues that seem to have cropped up with certain guests and
>> the newer 3.7.9+ kernel version. It manifests itself as networking stops
>> passing traffic and the following in the dmesg:
>>
>> [ 299.180910] vif vif-1-0 vif1.0: Too many frags
>> [ 299.180997] vif vif-1-0 vif1.0: fatal error; disabling device
>> [ 299.181092] xenbr0: port 2(vif1.0) entered disabled state
>>
>> I have not been able to replicate this myself using 3.8.2-1 as the Dom0
>> kernel and EL6 using the stock 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 kernel. I've seen
>> reports on IRC of both Arch and Ubuntu being affected so far.
>
> I can't replicate this too. Not that I tried to replicate it, but
> networking worked for me.

Yeah - its starting to look like something with network offloading
(ethtool -k eth0 to check yours).

I don't think its anything major - and turning off network offloading
may well fix the issue completely - so it may well be that its always
been there - just 2 people happened to stumble across it today...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au