[kernel-xen] xen-pciback in 3.8.x - Also Too many frags error

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Mar 6 17:18:45 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 4:31 PM, povder wrote:
> System hangs when I try to load module probably because I have it
> configured in a way that relies on xen-pciback built into kernel.
>
> In 3.7.10 kernel config I can see CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y but in
> 3.8.x there is CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m. Was this change intended?
> This change broke my system. Is there a possibility to change it back
> to the way it was in 3.7.10?

No, it wasn't intended to change back to a module. Something strange
happened when updating the template kernel config which caused some
options to change... I'm not sure what exactly - but I noticed a few
things changed that shouldn't have. IPv4 NAT etc is one example.

I've changed the config for the next build to inbuild the pciback
features instead of modules...

There are a few issues that seem to have cropped up with certain guests
and the newer 3.7.9+ kernel version. It manifests itself as networking
stops passing traffic and the following in the dmesg:

[  299.180910] vif vif-1-0 vif1.0: Too many frags
[  299.180997] vif vif-1-0 vif1.0: fatal error; disabling device
[  299.181092] xenbr0: port 2(vif1.0) entered disabled state

I have not been able to replicate this myself using 3.8.2-1 as the Dom0
kernel and EL6 using the stock 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 kernel. I've
seen reports on IRC of both Arch and Ubuntu being affected so far.

Its been posted to the Xen-devel mailing list:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-03/msg00404.html

As yet, there is no reply. I'd hopefully see some progress on this in
the next 24-48 hours and hopefully a fix in the near future.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: https://www.crc.id.au