[kernel-xen] Maximum number of CPUs set into 16 (CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16) ?

Yuriy Kohut ykohut at onapp.com
Thu Jan 24 18:59:15 EST 2013

Hi, Steven

I faced with the issue yesterday. HV has 2 following processors:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 45
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
microcode       : 0x70b
cpu MHz         : 2000.052
cache size      : 15360 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 12
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 6
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq est ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx hypervisor lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm
bogomips        : 4000.10
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

This is 6 core (12 threads) CPUs.

So we should get 12 cores without threading and 24 with threading.

Here is what we get:
[root at CC-HVXS-2 ~]# grep processor /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
processor    : 1
processor    : 2
processor    : 3
processor    : 4
processor    : 5
processor    : 6
processor    : 7
processor    : 8
processor    : 9
processor    : 10
processor    : 11
processor    : 12
processor    : 13
processor    : 14
processor    : 15

This result is greater then 12 - so it is with threading. As the result Dom0 kernel will use only 16 threaded kernels out of 24.
The other thing is, I'm NOT 100% sure that all vCPUs (not only 16) will be available for DomUs.

And the last thing is, that I don't understand why 16 ?
While kernel.org sets as default 64, and RedHat 5.x default is 255...

So, is there any chance to get the number updated in upcoming kernel-xen RPM(s) ?

---
Yura