[kernel-xen] DomU fails to start after power outage

Steven Spencer steven.spencer at kdsi.com
Fri Nov 9 10:16:13 EST 2012

On 11/08/2012 03:25 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 9/11/2012 4:14 AM, Steven Spencer wrote:
>> In looking at your template config, I'm wondering if we are simply doing
>> things wrong here. If so, then we've been doing them wrong for a very
>> long time. When we create a new domain, we generally use virt-install
>> with prompts, If we were to use your template system, would this give us
>> a more reliable way to restore a domain given this situation in the
>> future.
>>
>> I'm still off-line by the way. Mostly because I'm not sure how to
>> restore the vif.
>
> Ahhh - another victim of libvirt.
>
> While I can see the idea behind libvirt, and while I have much respect
> for RedHat, I really see libvirt as a bandaid that RH came up with
> because they pulled Xen support with RHEL6. As such, they needed a tool
> for enterprise customers that will eventually make it so that it would
> be a single interface for KVM, Xen etc etc.
>
> That may be a noble idea, but its not there yet. My thoughts on it at
> the current state is that it merely adds another stage of extraction and
> another point of failure for something to go wrong. Its not required, so
> I don't recommend to use it. Its also why I don't build a libvirt with
> my Xen packages - and that is ignoring that libvirt is not yet
> compatible with Xen 4.2!
>
> The traditional way to create Xen VMs has always been via /etc/xen and a
> config file. Its hand created and most large companies create their own
> scripting to manage these. As such, you have complete and easy control
> over the VM configuration. The config format is VERY simple and there
> isn't really much to go wrong.
>
> If virt-install creates the XML config (urgh), you may be able to
> convert the XML to normal config using libvirt.
>
> The syntax is:
> $ virsh -c xen:/// domxml-to-native xen-xm rhel5pv.xml
>
> This will output a plain text config file. For compatibility, you can
> also go the other way:
> $ virsh -c xen:/// domxml-from-native xen-xm rhel5.cfg

We JUST got this to work by hand editing the xml file (your right, it's
a mess) and inserting the interface info into it.

I would much prefer to bypass the libvirt stuff, so will try to generate
a configuration using your info above.

Thanks again for your responses, they have been helpful!

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957