[kernel-xen] DomU fails to start after power outage

Steven Spencer steven.spencer at kdsi.com
Fri Nov 9 01:39:07 EST 2012

On 11/08/2012 07:56 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:

>>> Try adding an interface line in the params file? And restarting the VM
>>> from the host side (not using the reboot command in the VPS). eg like...
>>>
>>> vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:c5:98:b3:0a,bridge=br0' ]
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Glenn. By "params file" do you mean the config.sxp?
>>

> Hi Steven (Great name!),
>
> The config files should be (by default) in /etc/xen/ - however there is
> no requirement for them to be there. It will be the file that determines
> the configuration of the DomU - ie where the storage lives, etc etc.
>
> For example, my template one that lives as /etc/xen/template.vm contains:
> name = "template.vm"
> memory = 1024
> vcpus = 2
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/RAID5/template.vm,xvda,w' ]
> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
> on_reboot   = 'restart'
> on_crash    = 'restart'
> vif = [ "mac=00:16:36:35:35:97,bridge=br0,script=vif-bridge" ]
> kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/pv-grub-x86_64.gz"
> extra="(hd0)/boot/grub/grub.conf"

I don't have anything for the domains (config wise) in /etc/xen They
appear to be in /var/lib/xend/domains/[hex hash]/config.sxp /etc/xen has
examples in it, etc.

Here's what I tried, just as a test. In the console of the virtual
machine, I modified /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
changed the IP there to something else not in use on my network. When I
try to bring up the interface with an ifup eth0, I get the following:

Device eth0 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.

This config was working before I stepped on the power cord (dangit!), so
just trying to get it back. When you are specifying the vif, do you use
the mac of the eth0 on the Dom0 or the peth0, or ...

Thanks for the responses!
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957