[kernel-xen] Problems with HVM virtualisation on AMD boxes

jules wob at bermuda.ch
Thu Dec 13 07:59:24 EST 2012

Hi all,

I'm using this kernels (3.6.9-2.el6xen.x86_64) in Scientific Linux 6.x on a
old AMD Phenom and a fat Dual Opteron Box for an OpenNebula prototype. I
planed to run all VMs in HVM mode but now it looks like your Xen kernels
don't support HVM virtualisattion on AMD CPUs.

First I checked the BIOS setting to ensure virtualisation is enabled.
If i do a 'grep -i svm /proc/cpuinfo' i don't get anything. The same on a
original SL kernel will find a svm entry in the flags.

You did a great job and it would be nice to keep your kernels. Did I missed
something or do you plan to support AMD in the near future?

Thank you for your answers or hints.

Regards Jules